A great vegetarian lunch!
- 1 1/2 cups split red lentils 375 mL
- 3 cups water 750 mL
- 2 tsp canola oil 10 mL
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced 250 mL
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder 7 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin 2 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 6 Tbsp tomato paste 90 mL
- 8 whole grain tortillas (6-inch/15-cm in diameter)
- 8 Tbsp fat-free sour cream, divided 120 mL
- 8 Tbsp salsa, divided 120 mL
- 8 Tbsp shredded low-fat cheddar cheese 120 mL
- 1. Rinse and drain lentils. In saucepan, bring lentils to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Slightly undercook. Drain if necessary.
- 2. In sauté pan, sauté onion, green pepper and garlic in canola oil, but do not brown. Add chili powder, cumin, cooked lentils, water and tomato paste. Stir 2 minutes until it starts to thicken. Cover and cook another 5 minutes.
- 3. Lay tortilla flat and place 1/2 cup (125 mL) of lentil mix down in center and roll up. Top each burrito with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of sour cream, salsa and cheese.
|Gras saturés||1 g|
Bean, Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole with Chipotle Peppers
Beans, lentils and brown rice pack a whole grain and vegetable protein punch.
Cranberry Lentil Soup
Delicious hot or cold, this soup features aromatic spices which add loads of flavor without excess calories. Canola oil's light flavor lets them come to the fore.
“Lentils of Arabia” with Rice, Cumin and Caramelized Onions
A Lebanese peasant food staple, this dish is a nutritional powerhouse that combines quick-cooking brown lentils with starchy rice and fresh ground spices. Deeply brown sweet onion, sautéed perfectly in canola oil, adds a textural contrast. For a great stand-alone meal, serve the lentils with diced cucumbers and tomatoes, sprinkled with toasted cumin and coriander. Make this a day or two ahead of serving to let flavors mature and evolve.