Vegetarian Sandwich with Sun Dried Tomato Spread
This will definitely be a hit at your next picnic or patio party.
- 16 sun-dried tomato halves
- 1 cup boiling water 250 mL
- 2 Tbsp dried basil leaves 30 mL
- 1/3 cup capers, drained 75 mL
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 60 mL
- 1 round loaf (16 oz/ 455 g) Tuscan-style bread, halved, creating 2 rounds
- 6 thin slices (4 1/2 oz / 128 g) reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 125 mL
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper 125 - 175 mL
- 4 cups (2 oz / 55 g) loosely packed spring greens 1 L
- 1. Place tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, and let stand 5 minutes to soften. Place tomatoes, 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato water, and remaining spread ingredients in a blender; puree until smooth.
- 2. Spread half of tomato mixture evenly over bottom half of bread loaf and top with filling ingredients in the order listed, starting with cheese. Spread remaining tomato mixture on top half of bread loaf and place, spread side down, on top of lettuce. Press down firmly and cut into 8 wedges.
- Fresh Tip: This is a great make ahead sandwich. The spread can also be used as a "tapenade" on crostini or whole-grain crackers.
|Gras saturés||2 g|
Cuban Inspired Sandwiches with Sun Dried Tomato Canola Mayonnaise
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) by Chef Instructor Brenda La Noue. See Chef Tucker Bunch prepare the recipe in the video below.
Greek Style Pocket Sandwiches
Great using fresh pork, but also tasty when leftover cooked pork is marinated, drained, re-heated and served.