- 2 lb medium ground pork 1 kg
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef 500 g
- 1/4 medium onion, grated 1/4
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp each ground allspice & nutmeg 1 mL
- pinch ground cloves
- 1 cup peeled & grated potato 250 mL
- pastry for two double crust 9-inch pies
- 1. There is enough filling for two meat pies. In a heavy bottom pot, place meat, onion, water, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook until meat is well cooked, and no pink remains. Add allspice and nutmeg, plus a very small pinch of cloves. Mix well and taste. Add more salt if needed.
- 2. Place bottom pie crusts in pie plates. Spread half of the grated potato over each pie crust. Sprinkle with salt. Top with 3 cups (750 mL) of meat mixture. Place second crust over entire mixture. Seal edges and cut vents into top pastry to allow steam to escape.
- 3. Bake 8-9 inch meat pie in a 400 °F (200 °C) oven for 15 minutes; reduce oven heat to 350 °F (180 °C) and bake for another 35 minutes. Remove pie from the oven and allow cooling for 5 minutes prior to cutting and serving.
|Gras saturés||9 g|
Chili Roasted Root Vegetables
Roasting vegetables in a little canola oil brings out new depths of flavor.
Curried Lentils and Vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavored dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet. Make lentils a regular part of your meals for quality protein and a good source of fiber. Try this recipe with different vegetables such as cauliflower, bell peppers, celery or broccoli.