North African Specialty Lamb with Chickpeas and Couscous
This recipe is filled with delicious, exotic flavours that are sure to please the senses.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp salt 10 mL
- 1 lb lamb leg, boned, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch strips 500 g
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds, crushed 20 mL
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed 2 mL
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger 30 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp vinegar 5 mL
- 6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped cilantro 15 mL
- 4 cups cooked couscous 1 L
- 1. Place eggplant in colander over sink. Sprinkle with salt and let sit 20 to 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, rub lamb strips with mixture of coriander, cumin, nutmeg, pepper and salt.
- 3. In large non-stick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil over medium high heat. Sauté lamb strips until cooked through 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4. Rinse eggplant under cold water and squeeze out excess moisture.
- 5. Add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil to lamb in skillet. Add eggplant to lamb strips and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add jalapeño peppers, ginger, garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add vinegar and tomatoes. Cover and let simmer over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir once or twice during cooking time. Stir in chickpeas. Heat through. Stir in parsley and cilantro. Serve with couscous.
1 generous cup (250 mL)
|Gras saturés||1.5 g|
Cumin and Garlic Scented Lamb Skewers
This grilled spiced kabob is inspired by the popular street vendors of Western China. Traditionally made with lamb, the recipe works with beef or chicken, too. Canola oil helps prevent the meat from sticking to the grill.
Grilled Lamb Chops with Fresh Ginger Couscous
This company-worthy dish is made by marinating tender lamb chops and serving them over a mound of pearl couscous with heady sweet spices and a generous amount of fresh mint. Canola oil carries the flavors of the lamb rub and keeps the chops from sticking to the grill.