Penne with Chickpeas, Spinach and Roasted Asparagus
This recipe is delicious warm or cold, and made for leftovers. The addition of chickpeas gives it some heft and canola oil blends all of the flavors nicely.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 4 cups penne 1 L
- 12 stalks asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 2 mL
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil 125mL
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes 125mL
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups spinach leaves 1.5 L
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water 250 mL
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 125 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 ⁰F (230 ⁰C).
- 2. Cut asparagus into 1-inch (2.5-cm) lengths. Toss with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, 1/4 tsp each (1 mL) salt and pepper. Place on parchment paper-lined baking pan and roast for 8 minutes or until asparagus is tender crisp and slightly browned.
- 3. In large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic and onions in 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL) for about 4 minutes or until onions are softened. Add carrots, basil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach and stock. Bring just to boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 4. In large bowl, toss warm pasta with cooked vegetables. Stir in 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper and Parmesan cheese. Add roasted asparagus; toss well and serve.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Gras saturés||1 g|
Arrabiata Pasta Sauce
Arrabiata means "angry style" in Italian and it's named as such due to the heat of the peppers. This simple, spicy sauce goes well with plain penne pasta.
Roasted Veggies with Pasta and Feta
Theres been a resurgence of interest in the slow cooker and its being used for way more than stewed meals! In this recipe, vegetables are slow-roasted in their own juices and canola oil keeps them nice and tender. The addition of fresh herbs, beans and olives at the end rounds out the flavors!