Inspired by street foods of Sicily, this dish can be enjoyed as an appetizer or a main dish.
- 1 tsp granulated sugar 5 mL
- 1 tsp rapid rise yeast 5 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups bread or all purpose flour 1.1 to 1.18 L
- 1/3 cup semolina 75 mL
- 1 3/4 cups water 425 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- Tomato Sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes 2 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 8 to 10 basil leaves, torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups canola oil 1 L
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese 125 mL
- 1. In mixing bowl, with a dough hook attachment, place sugar, yeast, salt, 1 cup (250 mL) flour and semolina. Stir to combine ingredients.
- 2. Add water and canola oil and mix well to combine ingredients. With mixer running, gradually add enough remaining flour to form a smooth dough. Let machine mix dough or knead by hand for about 10 minutes. Remove dough hook, cover dough, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover, and let rise until dough is double in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, prepare tomato sauce. In large saucepan over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Add garlic and chili flakes. Simmer over low temperature about 1 minute. Do not let garlic burn. Add crushed tomatoes and mix well.
- 5. Bring to a simmer and add basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- 6. In deep fryer, heat 4 cups (1 L) of canola oil to 350 °F (180 °C).
- 7. Lightly flour the dough. Cut each of the 4 balls of dough into 4 pieces. Flatten with hands or with rolling pin to about 1/8-inch in thickness. Place each piece, one at a time into the hot oil. Fry each side until golden brown in color, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 8. Top each pizza with tomato sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Tips: The tomato sauce can be prepared ahead of time, reserving the basil leaves until ready to use.
- The dough can be made one day ahead and refrigerated after the balls have been formed. Let dough come to room temperature before flattening and frying.
- Add your favorite pizza toppings.
TAMAÑO DE LA PORCIÓN
|Grasa total||16 g|
|Grasa saturada||1.5 g|
Balsamic Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pita Pizzas
Caramelized onions are slow food at its very best and here make a glorious base for these rustic yet elegant pita pizzas topped with creamy goat cheese.
Basil Focaccia Wedges
These mini-pizzas will inspire children to eat vegetables! The canola oil browns the vegetables, brings out their rich flavors, and gives the dough a crispy crust.