Chocolate Raspberry Cakes with Raspberry Crème Icing
Chocolate and raspberries are a perfect combination for Valentine’s Day. Canola oil reduces the amount of saturated fat in this dessert and, along with buttermilk, helps produce a cake crumb that’s tender and rich – like your love!
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour 425 mL
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder 175 mL
- 2 tsp baking soda 10 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 2 cups granulated sugar 500 mL
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup fresh raspberries 250 mL
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil 310 mL
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk 310 mL
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled 125g
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee 175 mL
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 10 mL
- 1 cup whipping cream, cold 250 mL
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature 125 g
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, crushed 250 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Line two muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- 2. In large bowl, whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- 3. In another large bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until light yellow, about 4 minutes. Add raspberries, whisking to break them into smaller pieces. Add canola oil, buttermilk, melted bittersweet chocolate, coffee and vanilla, whisking until combined.
- 4. In three parts, pour wet mixture into dry mixture, whisking well after each addition. Batter will be quite runny. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- 5. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack before icing with Raspberry Crème Icing. Top each with a fresh raspberry, if desired.
- 6. In stand mixer with whip attachment, on medium speed, blend whipping cream and cream cheese for 3 minutes until slightly thickened. Increase speed, adding granulated sugar while motor is running, until firm peaks form.
- 7. In medium bowl, combine crushed raspberries and vanilla. Add about 1/2 cup (125mL) whipped cream mixture. Blend together. Add this to remainder whipped cream mixture by hand.
- 8. Pipe or dollop on top of cupcakes.
24 cupcakes and 2 cups (500 mL) icing
1 cupcake and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) icing
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
Cherry Pie Bites
Orange juice and zest make these fun-sized cherry pies a refreshing, tangy dessert. With canola oil, these treats are better-for-you than traditional pies.