Espresso Chocolate Turtle Cake
Baking with canola oil can reduce your saturated fat intake.
- 1 (18oz/515g) pkg dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water 325 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso coffee 15 mL
- 1 tsp cinnamon 5 mL
- 1 (14oz/340g) bag caramels, papers removed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk 125 mL
- 1 cup chopped pecans 250 mL
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 250 mL
- caramel sauce
- chopped nuts
- fresh fruit
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Spray 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) pan with canola oil.
- 2. In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, canola oil, eggs, espresso coffee powder and cinnamon. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl continuously. Do not over mix. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- 3. Heat caramels and evaporated milk in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in chopped pecans. Pour caramel mixture over warm cake in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Then spread remaining batter over all. Bake 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cool for a least 30 minutes. Serve turtle cake with ice cream, drizzle with caramel sauce, additional chopped nuts. Garnish with fresh fruit.
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Black Bean Brownies
A dessert you can feel great about, these brownies offer protein, fiber and a smooth texture thanks to black beans. Canola oil is a baking no-brainer with less saturated fat than other cooking oils, a light texture and neutral flavor.
Candy Bar Brownies
You can create any flavor of brownie you like with your favorite candy bar. Make a pan of these after Halloween when you have an array of candy to use. Canola oil helps keep them moist and chewy.
Molten Chocolate Cake
With all the elegance of a plated dessert and all the gooey goodness of a brownie, these individual chocolate cakes are a perfect finish to any special meal. Canola oil in place of butter produces a tender crumb while reducing the saturated fat content. See the recipe video below.