Herb Baking Powder Biscuits
Biscuits are traditionally made with a solid fat like butter but theyre even better with canola oil! Replace solid fats with canola oil and youll cut total fats as well as trans and saturated fats.
- 2 cups all purpose flour 500 mL
- 1 Tbsp baking powder 15 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1 Tbsp Italian herb blend 15 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk 150 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
- 2. In medium size bowl, sift dry ingredients. Make well in flour mixture, and add canola oil and milk. Mix with fork until mixture cleans bowl and forms one mass.
- 3. Place dough on floured surface and knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a round 2-3 inch cookie cutter, cut dough into circles. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Best served warm.
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Aunty Mary's Buns
Aunty Mary's buns received Honourable Mention for the Be a Star! Be a Winner! with Canola Oil Paralympics Recipe Contest.
A whole-wheat, baked version of a traditional Aboriginal recipe. Canola oil helps produce a light and tender crumb.