Cod Fish with Potatoes, Fennel and Carrots
Enjoy this seafood and vegetable dinner with simple ingredients and instructions, but with the taste and look of a restaurant meal.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin slices, a few fronds reserved
- 4 small potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shaved into large pieces
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth 175 mL
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste 30 mL
- 3 wide strips orange peel, white pith removed
- 4 cod fish fillets (4 oz/125 g each)
- 1. In large non-stick pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add fennel and continue to cook until fennel is tender crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue cooking.
- 2. Whisk together chicken broth and tomato paste and add to pan along with orange peel. Simmer 10 minutes, covered.
- 3. Place cod fillets on top of vegetables. Cover pan and cook 10 minutes longer or until fish is cooked throughout. To serve, garnish with fennel fronds.
1 cod fillet and 1 cup (250 mL) vegetables
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Broiled Trout with Lemon Oil & Oven-Grilled Vegetables
The star of this recipe is delicious lemon canola oil, which should be a staple in any pantry. It may be used on fish, in salad dressings, on roasted vegetables and just about anywhere you would use canola oil. Here, it makes this simply prepared broiled trout with vegetables a healthy and tasty weekday meal.
Crispy Tempura Cod over Napa Cabbage Slaw With Green Onion Ginger Sauce
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Almir Da Fonseca.