Fennel Orange Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest 5 mL
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves 2 mL
- 2 cups chopped fennel bulb (about 1 large fennel bulb or 2 small bulbs) 500 mL
- 2 oranges, sectioned (about 1 cup/250 mL of sections)
- 2 Tbsp minced red onion 30 mL
- 8 radicchio leaves
- 1. In large bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients. Add fennel, oranges and red onion and toss to coat. (To section oranges, slice off both ends. Stand oranges on one sliced end and using sharp knife, slice away outer skin and white portion beneath, revealing sections. Use knife to remove each individual section.)
- 2. Arrange radicchio leaves on serving platter. Fill leaves with fennel mixture and serve.
- Tips: For additional peppery flavor and crunch, add 1/2 cup thinly-sliced, fresh radishes. For a complete meal, top the fennel mixture with grilled chicken breast, grilled or steamed shrimp or fresh lump crab meat. You may also substitute the oranges with fresh grapefruit or diced cantaloupe (1 cup). Using both fresh citrus zest and juice provides greater depth of flavor.
1/2 cup (125 mL) fennel mixture, 2 radicchio leaves
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Crisp Salad with Chayote and Orange
Chayote fruit are grown in warmer climates such as Mexico. They are mild in flavour with a crisp texture. Canola oil lets the vinaigrette's lively taste come to the forefront.
Roasted Beet Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Beets are complemented in this healthy salad by orange, grapefruit and lemon flavors. Canola oil allows these flavors to shine along with zesty Dijon mustard and champagne vinegar.