Curried Tofu in Pita Bread
Make sure your curry powder is less than six months old to ensure the best flavor! Using neutral-tasting canola oil helps those lively spices stand out. This dish is also great simply served with rice.
- 2 medium onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce 15 mL
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (button, shiitake, oyster) 500 mL
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage 500 mL
- 3 Tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour 45 mL
- 2 tsp curry powder 10 mL
- 1 cup 2% milk, plain soy milk or rice milk 250 mL
- 8 oz firm tofu, pureed 250g
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1 mL
- 6 round pita breads (4-inch/10-cm diameter)
- 1½ cups alfalfa sprouts 375 mL
- 1. In large frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté onions in 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of canola oil for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- 2. Add soy sauce, mushrooms, carrot and cabbage, and cook 8 minutes more, stirring often.
- 3. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, heat remaining canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour and curry powder. Cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4. Whisk in milk gradually. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook, whisking, for another 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- 5. Mix in puréed tofu and cook just long enough to heat through, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- 6. In large bowl, combine tofu curry sauce and vegetables.
- 7. Heat oven to 350 °F (180 ⁰C). Partially open pita pockets on one side and gently open to form pocket. Place pitas on baking sheet and cook in oven for 3 minutes, until lightly warm but not toasted.
- 8. Stuff each pita with equal amount of curried tofu mixture and alfalfa sprouts. Serve.
1 pita pocket stuffed with 1/4 cup (60 mL) alfalfa sprouts and 3/4 cup (175 mL) of tofu curry
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Creamy Asparagus with Tomato
This easy side dish is great when fresh asparagus is in season during the spring and early summer months. Crumbled tofu is an acceptable alternative if you don't feel like cottage cheese.
Indonesian Tofu Stew with Spring Vegetables
With a light coconut lime flavour, this recipe features green beans, bell peppers and zucchini. Other vegetables such as spinach, mushrooms, or cauliflower could also be used.