Try these moist and chewy gingersnaps made with canola oil to significantly lower total fat content.
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses 60 mL
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour 425 mL
- 2 tsp ground ginger 10 mL
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 60 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- 2. In mixing bowl, beat canola oil with sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Add flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until dough is moist. The dough can be quite sticky.3. Using 1 tsp (5 mL) per cookie, shape dough into ball. Roll in sugar. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet and flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets or racks.
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Brussels is home to a bakery called Maison Dandoy that makes molded “speculoos” (gingerbread) cookies, which are a local tradition. Here is a dropped cookie version made with canola oil, which helps produce a chewy result and keeps saturated fat to a minimum.
These Gingerbread Men are mixture of spicy and sweet. Canola makes a perfect texture for this traditional cookie.