Hoisin Whiskey Glazed Meatballs
Hoisin sauce, also called Chinese barbecue sauce, adds a lot of flavor and helps to thicken this Asian-inspired glaze.
- 8 oz ground turkey 250 g
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats 75 mL
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion (green and white parts) 75 mL
- 1 medium jalapeno chili pepper, finely chopped (with seeds)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon or Canadian whiskey 30 mL
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar substitute blend 10 mL
- 1. In medium bowl, combine turkey, oats, green onion, chili pepper, egg whites, pepper and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of canola oil and shape into 24 small meatballs (about 1 Tbsp/15 mL each).
- 2. Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs 6 minutes or until no longer pink in center, turning frequently.
- 3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together hoisin sauce, bourbon and sugar substitute.
- 4. Pour hoisin mixture over meatballs in skillet and cook 15 seconds, stirring gently until well coated. Serve with wooden picks.
- Cooks note: For better control, use two utensils, such as a fork and a spoon, to turn the meatballs easily.
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Crispy Pork Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are perfect for get-togethers; guests serve themselves, filling lettuce leaves with pork mixture and garnishes to wrap and eat. No knife and fork required! Here, canola oil’s high heat tolerance is ideal for sautéing and its neutral taste lets aromatics such as garlic and ginger bloom.
Hoisin Orange Pork on Asian Vegetables
Canola oil works well with stir fries because of its high heat tolerance. Get cooking! See the recipe video below.
Slow Cooked, Asian Spiced Pulled Pork Wraps
A twist on the popular Southern barbecue dish, this “pulled pork” is infused with rich, exotic Asian flavors, plus hints of chili and orange. Canola oil’s mild taste helps those flavors sparkle. The meat is wrapped in tortillas and garnished with shredded lettuce, cilantro or mint sprigs, green onions and a dash of sour cream for a sensational meal.