Key Lime Pie
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, crushed 300 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 1/3 cup fresh key lime juice 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp lime zest 30 mL
- 2 cups heavy cream 500 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- 2. In a bowl, combine graham crackers and canola oil, press into 9-inch (22cm) pie pan, bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- 3. In a double boiler, combine egg yolks, canola oil, sugar and lime juice. Cook for 10 minutes over a simmering water bath on medium heat, whisking occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and add lime zest. Chill this mixture until it becomes thicker, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Whip cream to soft peaks. Fold about 3/4 of the cream into firmed lime mixture. Pour this into the pre-baked pie crust.
- 5. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Top with remainder cream.
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
Cherry Pie Bites
Orange juice and zest make these fun-sized cherry pies a refreshing, tangy dessert. With canola oil, these treats are better-for-you than traditional pies.
Cranberry Orange Cheese Pie
A fantastic cheese pie, perfect for any fall holiday table. Canola adds to the silkiness of this decadent creamy pie.
Lemon Chess Pie
This Southern classic's name is a bit of a mystery, but the story goes that when asked what kind of pie the inventor made, she said 'jes' pie' and culinary history was made. This version has the requisite flaky pastry crust and sweet lemon custard filling but it's healthier with canola oil and a touch less sugar than the sticky-sweet traditional version, so the lemon really shines through.