Skillet Browned Cabbage
- 1 Tbsp canola oil , to divided 15 mL
- 4 oz diced extra lean ham 125 g
- 3 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage, do not shred 750 mL
- 1 cup chopped onion 250 mL
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots 125 mL
- 1 tsp packed dark brown sugar 5 mL
- 1/8 tsp salt 0.5 mL
- 1. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt skillet to coat lightly, add ham and cook until browned, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside on separate plate.
- 2. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil to the pan and cook onion 3 minutes or until translucent. Add the remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil, cabbage, carrots, and sugar. Cook 3 minutes or until cabbage is beginning to brown on edges, stirring as you would a stir fry. Add ham and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in salt.
about 2 1/2 cups
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Cabbage Roll Casserole
This casserole provides all the flavor of cabbage rolls without the work of rolling them! Canola oil helps keep saturated fat content low.