Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Jumbo Prawns
- 1/2 lb jumbo prawns, fresh or frozen, thawed 250 g
- 1 Tbsp cooking sherry 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch, divided 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger root gingerroot 15 mL
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth 125 mL
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar 2.5 mL
- 1/2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce 7 mL
- 1/2 lb bok choy, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces 250 g
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms or 6-8 dried shiitake mushrooms* 250 mL
- 1. In large bowl, toss prawns with cooking sherry and ½ Tbsp (7 mL) cornstarch.
- 2. In wok or large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add ginger and stir fry for about 1 minute. Add prawns and stir fry until pink. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- 3. In small bowl or cup, mix together chicken broth, sugar, soy sauce and remaining cornstarch.
- 4. If needed, add a little more canola oil to the pan, add the bok choy and mushrooms. Stir fry for about 3 minutes. Return prawns and add chicken broth mixture. Serve hot from pan over steamed rice or noodles, if desired.
- Tip: *If using dried whole mushrooms (available affordably in the ethnic aisle), place in a bowl and cover with boiling hot water and allow to stand for at least 20 minutes. When rehydrated, chop in halves or quarters.
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Lemon Basil Canola Oil Over Grilled Prawns And Pasta
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Almir DaFonseca.
Ginger Shrimp With Gai Lan
Canola oil's mild flavor make it a great choice for recipes that you want the flavors of the ingredients to shine through.