Balsamic Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pita Pizzas
- 3 Tbsp canola oil, divided 45 mL
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced into half-moons (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 15 mL
- 2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped 500 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets (about 6 inches/15 cm in diameter)
- 2 oz goat cheese 60 g
- 1. In large, non-stick skillet, heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir to coat with canola oil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are deeply golden in color, 30-40 minutes more. Stir in balsamic vinegar and mix until combined.
- 2. Increase heat to medium, stir spinach and pepper into onion mixture and cook until spinach is just barely wilted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat. Onion-spinach mixture can be made up to two days ahead and stored in airtight container in refrigerator.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Carefully slice pita in half to form two circles each. Place pita circles on baking sheet and brush up-facing side with remaining tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil. Spread about 1/4 cup (60 mL) onion-spinach mixture onto each pita round, leaving about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) around edges as crust. Distribute goat cheese in small dollops among pizzas.
- 4. Bake until pitas are browned on edges and cheese is melted, about 6 minutes.
- 5. Cut each pizza into 8 wedges and serve immediately.
8 servings (4 pizzas)
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Basil Focaccia Wedges
These mini-pizzas will inspire children to eat vegetables! The canola oil browns the vegetables, brings out their rich flavors, and gives the dough a crispy crust.
Mini Corn Cakes with Chipotle Aioli
Aioli is traditionally a creamy garlic dip. Chipotle aioli serves up smoky, subtle heat while complementing the corn cakes. Canola oil’s mildness lets the flavors of chile and toasted corn come through.
Zucchini Roll Ups with Feta and Roasted Red Pepper
Tender, grilled zucchini makes a delicious wrapper for colorful, crisp vegetables, fresh herbs and a creamy feta spread, all rolled into beautiful, bite-sized bundles. It is a true vegetable celebration with grilled, roasted and fresh produce in each mouthwatering bite. Brushing the zucchini with canola oil before grilling gives it a rich, glossy appeal with minimal saturated fat.