Chocolate War Cake
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour* 175 mL
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour 175 mL
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- 1/3 cup natural cocoa powder 75 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 cup cold water 250 mL
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar 15 mL
- 1/3 cup canola oil 75 mL
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp confectioners sugar 2 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- 2. In 9-inch (22-cm) round baking pan, whisk together whole-grain pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3. In small bowl or measuring cup, combine water and vinegar.
- 4. Make well in center of flour mixture in pan and pour canola oil and vanilla extract into well. Pour water-vinegar mixture over top of flour and then stir well to blend all ingredients.
- 5. Bake until set and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Place cake on rack to cool in pan. Once cool, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- *Note: Whole-wheat, all-purpose flour can be substituted for whole-wheat pastry flour.
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Banana Upside Down Cake
Tasty with any fruit, but bananas are so easily available year-round, that this recipe is a perfect solution to "what's for dessert?"
Lemon Vanilla Bean Canola Oil Pound Cake With Raspberry Sauce
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Almir Da Fonseca.