Cool Canola Oil Pastry
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (skin on) 125 mL
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 560 to 625 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp baking powder 2 mL
- 2/3 cup canola oil, chilled in freezer for 2 hours* 150 mL
- 1 egg, beaten slightly
- 1/4 cup ice water 60 mL
- 1/4 cup 1% milk 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp vinegar 15 mL
- 1. In food processor, add almonds and pulse once or twice for a coarsely ground consistency. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Pulse one or twice to combine ingredients. Add cold/frozen canola oil. Pulse again once or twice.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine egg, water, milk and vinegar. With food processor running, pour liquid ingredients through feed tube. Turn off machine as soon as ingredients are mixed, about 10 seconds.
- 3. Remove dough and place on lightly floured surface. Knead ingredients 4 or 5 times to finish mixing. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half to fit pie plate. Trim and flute edges. Prick all over with fork. Bake at 400 °F (200 °C) for about 10 minutes or until golden brown..
- * Note: Canola oil can be frozen in measured amounts and used immediately in this pastry.
2 pie crusts - 9 inches (21cm)
1/8th of pie crust
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Simple Canola Oil Pastry
Try this canola oil pastry recipe as a healthier alternative to traditional pastry recipes. By substituting canola oil for shortening or lard, you replace fats higher in saturated fatty acids with an oil which has the lowest level of saturated fatty acids. See the recipe video below.
Cranberry Orange Cheese Pie
A fantastic cheese pie, perfect for any fall holiday table. Canola adds to the silkiness of this decadent creamy pie.
Lemon Chess Pie
This Southern classic's name is a bit of a mystery, but the story goes that when asked what kind of pie the inventor made, she said 'jes pie' and culinary history was made. This version has the requisite flaky pastry crust and sweet lemon custard filling but it's healthier with canola oil and a touch less sugar than the sticky-sweet traditional version, so the lemon really shines through.