- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 fresh chorizo or Italian sausages
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp chili powder 10 mL
- 1 tsp cumin 5 mL
- 1 can (14 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes, preferably in tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1 mL
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta 125 mL
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1. In large, heavy skillet or shallow pot, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and sauté onion, red pepper and jalapeno 4-5 minutes, until soft. Squeeze sausage out of casing into pot and cook, breaking meat up with spoon until no longer pink.
- 2. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin, cooking another minute or two. Add tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon, until mixture simmers and thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. When sauce is at even simmer, make six little dents with spoon in surface of sauce and crack an egg into each. Cover pan or pot and cook until egg whites are opaque but yolks are still soft.
- 4. Meanwhile, in small skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of canola oil and cook each tortilla until golden and crisp, turning with tongs as necessary. Remove from oil and transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt.
1 cup (250 mL) with egg and 1 tortilla
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
Breakfast Strata Primavera
This stunning dish is like a savory bread pudding studded with colorful, spring vegetables and full of rich flavor. By using canola oil and a mix of whole eggs and egg whites, you get the sumptuous flavor of most breakfast bakes without the saturated fat. This dish makes entertaining a breeze since you prepare it the night before. In the morning, just pop it in the oven, then relax and enjoy your guests.
Mexican Baked Eggs on Black Beans
This dish can be prepared in one large casserole or in 6 individual ramekins. Accompany with fresh salsa and a mixed dark green salad for a simple, yet impressive brunch idea.
Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict with Creamy Dill Caper Sauce
This dish takes Eggs Benedict to new heights with silky, smoked salmon and a creamy sauce laced with dill and capers. Full of decadent flavor and so much healthier than traditional Hollandaise, the sauce made with canola oil is a heavenly alternative.