Mexican Baked Eggs on Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- ¾ cup minced onion 175 mL
- 1 tsp chili powder 5 mL
- ½ tsp ground cumin 2 mL
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 2 mL (or to taste)
- 1 (19 oz / 540 mL) can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (19 oz / 540 mL) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese 60 mL
- 1. In large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes and stir for 2 minutes. If you like it extra spicy, add more red pepper flakes to taste.
- 2. Add black beans and tomatoes. Stir. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-30 minutes until thickened to desired texture. While mixture cooks, preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- 3. Lightly brush 6 ramekins (placed on a baking sheet) or one 2 quart (2.25 L) casserole dish with canola oil or cooking oil spray. Mash bean mixture well and evenly divide amongst the dishes. Make a shallow hole in the middle of each one.
- 4. Carefully crack one egg on top of each dish. Sprinkle lightly with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until egg is cooked to desired doneness.
1 egg and ¾ cup (175 mL) bean mixture
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
Red Pepper and Fennel Frittata
Eggs are a complete source of protein and here they are baked with veggies like a casserole. The frittata is perfect for brunch, lunch or even dinner!
Smoked Yukon Gold Potato Salad
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Brenda La Noue. See Chef Almir Da Fonseca prepare the recipe in the video below.