- 1/2 lb sirloin tip, sliced very thinly 250 g
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil, divided 20 mL
- 1 small onion, sliced into thin rings
- 4 cups sodium-reduced beef stock 1 L
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger 15 mL
- 1 stalk lemongrass chopped or 3 Tbsp (45 mL) dried lemongrass 1
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 oz ounces rice vermicelli noodles 125 g
- 2 cups bean sprouts 500 mL
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1/2 cup each fresh basil, mint and cilantro 125 mL each
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce 15 mL
- 1. In large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium heat. Add beef and cook for about 2-3 minutes. It wont be cooked through. Set aside.
- 2. Add 1/2 Tbsp (7.5 mL) canola oil to saucepan. Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add beef stock, water, ginger, lemongrass, peppercorns and cinnamon stick, simmer for about 1 hour. (Broth can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated, if preferred.)
- 3. Meanwhile, place rice vermicelli in bowl and cover with very hot water. Place lid on top and allow to sit for about 3 minutes.
- 4. Prepare garnish plate: Arrange limes, basil, mint, cilantro, jalapeno and small bowl of fish sauce on a plate.
- 5. Add beef to stock mixture and cook to desired doneness. To serve: Divide rice vermicelli and sprouts evenly in 4 bowls. Pour hot broth-beef mixture over top. Garnish as desired from the garnish plate.
1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Asian Shrimp Soup
This earthy Asian soup is perfect to warm you up on a cold day and canola oil's light taste won't interfere with the soup's layered flavors. Add red pepper flakes if you like more heat!