Rustic Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Crostini
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes 1 mL
- 6 lb tomatoes, chopped* 2.7 kg
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped** 500 mL
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth 1 L
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 45 mL
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped 60 mL
- Grilled Cheese Crostini
- 3 slices 2% cheddar cheese, cut in half
- 6 slices whole grain Italian bread, cut on bias, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick each
- 1. To prepare soup: Warm large pot over medium heat. Add canola oil, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper and sauté 5 minutes.
- 2. Add tomatoes, basil and broth. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 3. With immersion blender (or hand blender), purée soup to desired smoothness.
- 4. To prepare crostini: Place half slice of cheese on each slice of bread, place on baking sheet and broil 5 minutes until cheese bubbles and bread is toasted.
- 5. Top soup with drizzle of balsamic vinegar and basil. Serve with cheese crostini on side.
- Substitution Notes:
- *6 lb (2.7 kg) fresh tomatoes may be substituted with 3 lb (1.5 kg) fresh tomatoes and 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) low-sodium crushed tomatoes or 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) low-sodium crushed tomatoes.
- **Fresh basil may be substituted with 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried basil.
2 cups (500 mL) soup and 1 slice cheese crostini
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Rustic Hearty Crackers
Perfect to serve with cheese or on top of soup. Your guests will be surprised that you made crackers from scratch and so easy. Canola does not interfere with the other flavors you may be using.