Joan's Crock Pot Beef
- 4 lb round eye or boneless blade pot roast 2 kg
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp low sodium steak spice 30 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups sodium reduced beef stock 625 mL
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 75 mL
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley 60 mL
- 1. Pat roast dry. In large, shallow dish, combine garlic and steak spice; rub all over roast. In large Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of canola oil over medium-high heat and brown roast all over, turning with wooden spoon, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate; set aside. Drain off fat in pan.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium and heat remaining oil. Fry onions, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer onions to 24-cup (6L) slow cooker. Top with browned roast. Add beef stock to Dutch oven; bring to boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, about 7 hours.
- 3. Remove pot roast; cover and keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices. Whisk flour with 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, then whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with roast.
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Eye of Round Roast with Rich, Dark Gravy
The secret to this deep-flavored dish is instant coffee, which “beefs” up the taste. Canola oil’s high heat tolerance is ideal for browning the beef.