Loukomades (Greek Fried Dough Balls)
- 1 cup warm water (100 °F/40 °C) 250 mL
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast (about 2 packages) 30 mL
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 60 mL
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (100 °F/40 °C) 125 mL
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil 75 mL
- 4 cups all-purpose flour 1 L
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 3 cups canola oil (for frying) 750 mL
- 1/2 cup honey 125 mL
- 1/2 cup water 125 mL
- 2 tsp cinnamon 10 mL
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg 5 mL
- 1. In small bowl, pour warm water, sprinkle yeast and sugar on top and whisk to dissolve. Let stand for 6 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- 2. In large bowl, add warm milk and yeast mixture. With wooden spoon, beat in eggs and canola oil. Add flour and salt, mixing to form wet dough.
- 3. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in draft-free space for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- 4. Stir dough down and re-cover and let double again in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, using deep fryer or wok, heat canola oil to 375 °F (190 °C). Use deep-frying thermometer.
- 6. Dip spoon in warm water then scoop 1 Tbsp (15 mL) dough to form ball and repeat until 4-5 balls have been formed. Dough will be very tacky so make sure you dip spoon in water after each ball. Add 4-5 balls to fryer at time and fry until golden brown on bottom and then, using wooden or metal spoon, roll them over to cook other side, about 3 to 4 minutes per batch.
- 7. Remove dough balls from oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all dough has been fried. Between batches, you may want to stir dough, as it will rise.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat honey and water to create glaze. Drizzle on top of fried loukomades. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
about 48 loukomades
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Canola oil is a great choice for high heat cooking. Canola oil has one of the highest smoke points of all commonly used vegetable oil at 468 °F (242 °C).