Panko Crusted Fish Sticks
- Edamame Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame beans, thawed 375 mL
- 1/2 medium red pepper, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- Fish Sticks
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs 250 mL
- 1/2 tsp paprika 2 mL
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts 60 mL
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole-wheat flour 125 mL
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 1/2 lb grouper or cod, cut into 1 1/4-inch (3 cm) slices 750 g
- 1/2 tsp sea salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 2 mL
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard 30 mL
- 1. To make edamame salsa: in medium bowl, combine edamame beans, red pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice and canola oil, mixing well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400 ˚F (200 ˚C).
- 3. In shallow dish, combine panko, paprika and walnuts. In another small dish, place flour. Whisk together egg whites and canola oil in third dish.
- 4. Season fish with salt and pepper and brush with Dijon mustard. Dip fish in flour, then egg and canola oil, and dredge in panko mixture, pressing firmly to coat. Place fish on lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes evenly when tested with fork. Serve with Edamame Salsa.
- Tip: To make these into fish cakes, pulse the fish in a food processor about four times until the fish is ground (like ground chicken or pork). Continue with recipe at step 2.
2 fish sticks and 1/3 cup (75 mL) salsa
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Beer Battered Fish and Chips
Canola oil is a great choice for high heat cooking. It has one of the highest smoke points of all commonly used vegetable oils at 468 °F (242 °C).
Broiled Trout with Lemon Oil & Oven-Grilled Vegetables
The star of this recipe is delicious lemon canola oil, which should be a staple in any pantry. It may be used on fish, in salad dressings, on roasted vegetables and just about anywhere you would use canola oil. Here, it makes this simply prepared broiled trout with vegetables a tasty weekday meal.
Cornmeal Crusted Fish and Zucchini Chips
Get the crisp deliciousness of classic fish and chips without the heaviness and fat from frying. Here, white fish is breaded in cornmeal, misted with canola oil and baked at a high temperature so it's crisp. The breaded zucchini slices are a fun way to get vegetables into this comfort food meal. It's all served with a fresh lemony tartar sauce using a healthy base of canola oil mayonnaise.