Slow Cooker Po’ Boys
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil 7 mL
- 2 lbs trimmed boneless lean chuck roast, cut into 4 pieces 1 kg
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions 375 mL
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water 125 mL
- 1/3 cup dry red wine (or 1/3 cup water with 2 tsp/10 mL sodium-free beef bouillon granules) 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar 30 mL
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 10 mL
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil 20 mL
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 mL
- 8 torpedo buns
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 1. In large skillet, heat 1/2 Tbsp (7 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on each side for 3 minutes. Place onion and bay leaves in bottom of slow cooker and add beef on top. Pour water into skillet to remove any browned bits, stir and pour over beef.
- 2. Top slow cooker ingredients with wine, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or low setting for 9-10 hours.
- 3. Remove beef with slotted spoon and set aside. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- 4. In small bowl, whisk together remaining canola oil, flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk into onion mixture in slow cooker until well-blended. Shred beef, return to slow cooker, stir, cover and cook 15 minutes to absorb flavors.
- 5. To serve, heat bread in preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 5 minutes. Cut in half horizontally. Spread Dijon mustard on top halves and spoon beef mixture on bottom halves then to complete sandwiches.
4 cups (1 L)
1/2 cup (125 mL) beef mixture and 1 torpedo bun
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|