Coconut Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed in water 250 mL
- 1 cup of water 250 mL
- 1 can (14 oz/ 398 mL) light coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp salt 0.5 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 mango, cut in quarters
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped 15 mL
- 1. In saucepan, cook rice with water, coconut milk and salt over medium heat. Once rice boils, lower temperature and continue to cook, covered, until rice is smooth and fluffy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. In sauté pan, warm canola oil on medium heat and lightly sauté mango pieces until they turn light golden color. Add chopped basil, then remove from heat.
- 3. Serve rice in bowls topped with mango pieces and fresh basil leaves.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf
Health professionals recommend increasing the intake of omega 3 fatty acids from foods such as salmon, trout, walnuts and canola oil.
Crunchy Wild Rice Salad with Blackberry Dressing
Prepare the wild rice up to 2 days in advance to make quick work of this gorgeous salad. A perfect accompaniment to any grilled or roasted meat, also a lovely side in a packed lunch. Serve warm or cold.
Red Beans and Rice
Traditionally, red beans and rice is served on Mondays, especially during the Mardi Gras season. It is generally made using dried beans and smoked pork sausage, but heres a flavorful, hurried up version with canned beans. Canola oil helps brown the lean turkey sausage and keep saturated fat in check.