- canola cooking spray
- 2 cups slow-cooking rolled oats 500 mL
- 1/2 cup wheat germ 125 mL
- 3/4 cup finely flaked coconut 175 mL
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds 30 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1 Tbsp milk 15 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 1/3 cup honey 75 mL
- 1. Preheat the oven to 300 °F (150 °C). Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with canola cooking spray.
- 2. In large bowl, combine dry ingredients - oats, wheat germ, coconut, seeds and salt. Add milk, canola oil and honey, stirring constantly.
- 3. Spread on the baking sheet about 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until browned, stirring two or three times during cooking. Cool and store in tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to one week. Serve as a cereal with milk and fruit or eat by the handfuls as a snack.
4 cups (1L) or 8 half cup servings
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
Fill several small snack bags with this healthy granola to have on hand when you need a quick pick-me-up.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
Start a new day with a hot bowl of sweet nuttiness. Quickly toasting sunflower seeds and quinoa in canola oil first helps their nutty flavors come through.
Muesli Muffins with Almonds and Cranberries
Whole grains, cranberries and almonds jack up the nutrient power in these muffins compared to common, cake-like ones. To round out breakfast, pair a muffin with some nuts and a piece of fruit for additional protein, energy and nutrients. Canola oil provides a moist, tender texture, plus adds vitamins E and K.