- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots 250 mL
- 1 cup diced celery 250 mL
- 1 cup shredded cabbage 250 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes 250 mL
- 2 cups peeled and diced beets 500 mL
- 6 1/2 cups water 1.55L
- 1 cup low sodium tomato juice 250 mL
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock 500 mL
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- fresh dill and parsley to taste
- 1. In a large soup pot, saute onion, carrot, celery and cabbage in canola oil until cooked.
- 2. Add potatoes and beets and continue to saute for about one minute.
- 3. Add water, tomato juice and stock. Season with lemon juice, bay leaves and salt. Allow to simmer until potatoes are cooked about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4. Add dill and parsley near the end of the cooking time.
- 5. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish each bowl with 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) low fat sour cream, if desired.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Braised Beef and Vegetable Stew
This beef and vegetable stew is a take on a hearty classic. Braising allows the beef and vegetables to reach the perfect tenderness while the tomatoes, red wine and Worcestershire give the dish just the right amount of acidity.
Rustic Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Crostini
This hearty soup combines tomatoes with the classic flavors of basil, garlic, onions and red peppers for a comforting meal. The grilled cheese crostini offers the same taste as the classic sandwich, but with fewer calories and carbohydrates since its open-faced.