Kale, Beet, and Chickpea Power Bowls
- 1 Tbsp water 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 15 mL
- 1 tsp minced garlic 5 mL
- 1 Tbsp natural, unsalted peanut butter or tahini 15 mL
- 6 Tbsp canola oil 90 mL
- 3 cups cooked barley or brown rice 750 mL
- 6 cups fresh kale leaves or spinach, stems removed 1.5 L
- 1 cup grated fresh beets 250 mL
- 1 cup grated carrots 250 mL
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed 500 mL
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped 250 mL
- 1. Make dressing: In small bowl, whisk together water, soy sauce, cider vinegar, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Blend in peanut butter. Gradually whisk in canola oil until dressing is combined. Set aside.
- 2. Assemble the salad in six individual bowls by topping cooked barley or rice with kale, beets, carrots, chickpeas, and almonds. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of dressing to serve.
- Note: Any leftover dressing can be refrigerated and used later for another salad, quinoa, grilled fish, or chicken.
1 cup (250 mL) and 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of dressing
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Broccoli Black Bean Salad
Every pantry should have a few cans of black beans on hand to use in quick salads like this one! Canola oil keeps this healthy dish low in saturated fat.
Barley Salad with Spinach and Strawberries
Sweet, tart strawberries make a delicious addition to a summer salad. If you’re taking this to a party, add nuts just before serving to keep them crunchy.