Orange Almond Sponge Cake with Blueberries
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar .5 mL
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract 2 mL
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour 125 mL
- 1 cup almond meal (very finely ground almonds or almond flour) 250 mL
- 2 Tbsp finely grated orange zest 30 mL
- 1/8 tsp salt .5 mL
- 3 cups fresh or frozen thawed blueberries to garnish 750 mL
- 3 cups nonfat blueberry yogurt 750 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 325ᵒF (160ᵒC). Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar for about 2 minutes or until frothy. In two additions, add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg yolks with the remaining sugar for about 2 minutes until light yellow and thick. Do not continue to beat. Add canola oil, almond extract, almond meal, flour, orange zest, and salt. Stir gently to combine. Stir in about one-third of the egg whites.
- 4. Add remaining egg whites and fold until mixed. Transfer to springform pan.
- 5. Bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cake is firm to touch. Allow cake to cool fully before slicing and serving. Serve with blueberries and yogurt. Cake freezes well.
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Fresh Apple Cake
Nothing exemplifies the fall season quite like the smell and taste of fresh apples. Make the most out of your trip to the orchard with this fresh apple cake recipe.
Serve this delicious cake topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting at your next family gathering.