Prosciutto and Hearts of Palm Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette
- 6 cups shredded romaine or spring greens (about 6 oz/170 g) 1.5 L
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions (2 oz/60 g) 125 mL
- 1 can (14 oz) hearts of palm, cut into 1/2-inch rounds 398 mL
- 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, layers separated and chopped 60 g
- 1/3 cup champagne 75 mL
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar 75 mL
- 1/3 cup canola oil 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano 30 mL
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp regular Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 3/4 tsp salt 4 mL
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp dried pepper flakes 0.5 to 1 mL
- 3 oz goat cheese, cut into small pieces 90 g
- 1. In salad bowl, combine romaine lettuce, onion, palm and prosciutto.
- 2. In small jar, combine champagne, vinegar, canola oil, sugar, oregano, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Secure with lid and shake vigorously until well blended. Pour half of dressing (about 2/3 cup/150 mL) over salad and toss gently.
- 3. Top with goat cheese and toss gently. Place equal amounts of salad on each of four salad plates.
- 4. Refrigerate remaining dressing for later use.
2 cups (500 mL)
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Asian Noodle Salad
Adding fresh ingredients, such as ginger root and garlic, helps add flavor without adding sodium.
Broccoli Black Bean Salad
Every pantry should have a few cans of black beans on hand to use in quick salads like this one! Canola oil keeps this dish low in saturated fat.
Caramelized Corn and Red Pepper Salad with Chives
Take advantage of your hot grill pan and cook multiple vegetables at the same time. Caramelizing corn and red peppers bring out their natural sweetness, which are complemented by savory chives. The dressing is a light and tangy blend of red wine vinegar, canola oil and smoky cumin - ingredients that enhance the fresh flavors of the vegetables without overpowering them.