Red Beans and Rice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 6 oz smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced 170 g
- 1½ cups diced onions 375 mL
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz/443 mL each) no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves 5 mL
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Louisiana hot sauce 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice 750 mL
- 1. In Dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Sauté sausage 2-3 minutes or until richly browned on edges, stirring frequently. Set aside on separate plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook 4 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 2. Add beans, thyme and bay leaves. Stir in sausage, hot sauce, salt and remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Heat until cooked through. Serve over rice.
2/3 cup (150 mL) bean mixture and 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Bean, Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole with Chipotle Peppers
Beans, lentils and brown rice pack a whole grain and vegetable protein punch.
Beef With Black Beans & Vegetables
This classic dish is flavored with preserved black soybeans that are fermented with salt and spices and is a popular seasoning with meat, seafood and poultry.