Roasted Eggplant with Tomatoes and Fresh Basil
- 1 medium globe eggplant (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 mL
- canola oil cooking spray
- 12 grape or teardrop tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp finely minced lemon zest 2 mL
- 8 to 10 large fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 °F (232 °C) along with large, rimmed baking sheet.
- 2. Trim unpeeled eggplant and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss with lemon juice and then with canola oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Remove pan from oven and coat well with canola oil cooking spray. Pour eggplant onto pan, spreading in single layer. Roast until dark golden brown and cooked completely through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4. To serve as side dish, transfer eggplant to bowl to cool slightly. Toss with tomatoes, lemon zest and basil. Serve warm or at room temperature. Or serve as appetizers by skewering eggplant and tomatoes onto wooden skewers with small piece of cheese like mozzarella.
1/2 cup (125 mL)
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Maple Roasted Vegetables
Canola oil is one of the healthiest vegetable oils, It has no trans fats and lowest saturated fat level of any commonly used vegetable oil.
Looking for a different way to do broccoli, why not try roasting them. Roasting helps to bring out the flavors and the added zest and nuts makes a great addition to this side dish.