- 16 ounces strawberries 500 g
- 1 Tbsp honey 15 mL
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 125 mL
- 2 Tbsp confectioners sugar 30 mL
- 1/2 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt 125 mL
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour* 125 mL
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 125 mL
- 1 Tbsp sugar 15 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp baking soda 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp salt 0.5 mL
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk 150 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1. Wash, hull and slice strawberries and place in large bowl. Drizzle with honey, then toss to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- 2. Whip cream with electric mixer until thickened. Add sugar and continue beating until soft peaks are formed. Gently fold in yogurt and vanilla. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Cream can be made up to a day ahead.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4. In medium bowl, whisk together whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and canola oil.
- 5. Combine dry and wet mixtures and stir until just moistened. Do not over mix. Drop batter into eight mounds onto prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 6. To serve, using serrated knife, gently cut warm biscuits in half horizontally. Place each bottom half on plate, top with about 1/3 cup (75 mL) strawberries with their accumulated juice and large dollop of whipped topping. Cap with top halves of biscuits and serve.
- Note: Whole-wheat, all-purpose flour can be substituted for whole-wheat pastry flour.
1 biscuit, 1/3 cup (75 mL) strawberries, 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cream
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
Mixed Berry, Cucumber and Mint Salad with Lime Dressing
Strawberries and cucumbers have a natural affinity because the mild flavor and crunch of a cucumber partners perfectly with sweet, tender strawberries. Other contrasting flavors and textures come from fresh mint, honey mustard and lime zest. Canola oil allows these flavors to shine. The dressing has just four ingredients, so its easy to make any weeknight.
Strawberry and Mango Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Canola oil's mild flavor make it a great choice for recipes that you want the flavours of the ingredients to shine through and not be masked by a strongly tasting oil.