Toasted Sesame Carrot and Sweet Potato “Noodles”
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, divided 60 mL
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar 30 mL
- 1 tsp minced garlic 5 mL
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger root 10 mL
- 1 tsp honey 5 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1. Toast sesame seeds: In large saucepan, place sesame seeds and warm over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until golden and beginning to “pop.” Remove and set aside.
- 2. Make “noodles” from carrots and sweet potato by using a vegetable spiralizer or a vegetable peeler.
- 3. Prepare dressing: In a glass jar with a lid, shake together rice vinegar, garlic, ginger root, honey, and 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds. Set aside.
- 4. Cook noodles: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté “noodles” in canola oil, stirring for about 5–8 minutes or until still tender-crisp. (Avoid overcooking, which can make the “noodles” overly soft.)
- 5. To serve: Drizzle “noodles” with dressing and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of toasted sesame seeds.
1/3 cup (75 mL)
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Green Bean Saltado
A healthy twist on the Peruvian classic lomo saltado, this recipe showcases green beans, which are popular during the holidays. Green beans have high levels of carotenoids and canola oil helps keep the dish’s saturated fat content to a minimum compared to typical holiday sides.
Garlic Snow Peas with Cilantro
Ready in less than 5 minutes, this oh-so-simple dish is perfect for the busiest of days. See the recipe video below.